Tyne and Wear HER(13559): Sunderland, Holmeside, No. 42, Black's Regal Cinema - Details
Sunderland, Holmeside, No. 42, Black's Regal Cinema
Black's Regal Theatre was built on the site of the Olympia Exhibition Hall and Pleasuredrome (1897-1910) and it was built for the northern independent Black's circuit. It was designed by architects Edwin Sheridan Grey in the art deco style and it opened on 28th March 1932. The theatre was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/9Ranks theatre organ which had an Art Deco style console on a lift. Facilities included a cafe and roller rink. In 1955 the Black's circuit was taken over by the Rank Organisation and the Regal was re-named Odeon from 28th November 1955. It was divided into a three screen cinema in 1975 with 1,200 seats in the former circle and two 150 seat screens in the rear stalls. It closed in 1982 and remained empty for many years. It re-opened as top-rank bingo club and remains in use today as Mecca Bingo.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas; http://cinematreasures.org/theater/19911/; English Heritage, 11 September 2012, Consultation Report; The Architect's Journal, 31 August 1932, Black's Regal Theatre, Sunderland; Kinematograph Weekly, 21 April 1932, The Regal, Sunderland: Continuing a Famous Tradition; English Heritage, 5 February 2013, Advice Report