Tyne and Wear HER(13560): Sunderland, Holmeside, Ritz Cinema - Details
Sunderland, Holmeside, Ritz Cinema
The Ritz opened on the 1st March 1937 as part of Union Cinemas. It was of art deco style designed by architect William Riddell Glen. It was taken over by Associated British Cinema and renamed ABC in 1961. In 1974 it was converted into a two screen cinema with the rear stalls area being converted into a Painted Wagon pub. It closed on 29th April 1999. The site has re-opened as The Point, a nightclub but has lost all of its original internal features. The exterior, however, remains unchanged.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas