Tyne and Wear HER(13562): Sunderland, Bedford Street, Royal Theatre - Details
Sunderland, Bedford Street, Royal Theatre
Music Speech and Dance Venue
The Royal opened in 1855. Hamilton's Diorama was shown on the 15th June 1883. The Royal put on animated films for the first time in 1906 under the ownership of Richard Thornton and the first recorded boxing film shown in Sunderland of the World Championship fight between Britt and Nelson was shown at this cinema. Due to the recession in 1933 the cinema was turned into a boxing stadium and reopened in 1940 as a cinema again. After is closed the premises were bought by the council and renovated into commercial properties. Nothing remains of the interior features and the exterior has been altered beyond recognition.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas