Tyne and Wear HER(13563): Hendon, Upper Sans Street, The Scala - Details
Hendon, Upper Sans Street, The Scala
Music Speech and Dance Venue
The Star Music Hall in Upper Sans Street Hendon was on 26th December 1882. The building had previously been the Assembly Rooms. The Music Hall was badly damaged by fire on the 16th August 1883. This fire caused the hall to close. The Salvation Army used it as a Barracks until they moved in 1906. It was then opened as the Pavilion Cinema on the 11th February 1907 under the patronage of Colonel Vaux. It was later renamed the Scala until it closed in 1924 and lay empty until 1930 when Charles Jolly opened it as a motor garage. The building has now been demolished.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas