Tyne and Wear HER(13564): Hendon, Smyrna Place, Victory Cinema - Details
Hendon, Smyrna Place, Victory Cinema
The Victory Cinema was formerly the Smyrna Chapel at the junction of Borough Road and Smyrna Place. It opened in 1920 and was an alternative cinema to the Gaiety for the people of the East End. It was damaged by bombs on 15th April 1941 and never re-opened. On the site there is are a fish and chip shop and a small derelict building possibly including remains of the original Victory cinema. Other than this small run-down building there area is entirely residential.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas