Tyne and Wear HER(13568): Grangetown, Chester Stones - Details
Grangetown, Chester Stones
A group of fields are named 'Chester Stones' and 'East Chester Stones' on an undated map of Ryhope Township following enclosure. They were part of the Great West Field. The fields were in the ownership of Robert Watson and John Fell. A hand written annotation which accompanies the map reads: 'now Walter Ettrick - Chester Stones' and 'now Ralph Fell - Chester Stones'. The fields are also named 'Chester Stones' on the Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1858. Some of the fields have been built over and much of the rest is now Grangetown cemetery, but East Chester Stones is undeveloped. The term 'chesters' is generally taken to mean enclosures of prehistoric or Roman date.
pers comm. Rob Shepherd, 5 June 2011 (email to HER); undated map of Township of Ryhope following enclosure; Ordnance Survey First Series 1861