Tyne and Wear HER(13572): West Boldon, Church of St. Nicholas, effigies of priest - Details
West Boldon, Church of St. Nicholas, effigies of priest
The first effigy is located beneath a modern recess in the north wall of the chancel. It is of an unknown priest and is early C14 in date. It is made of sandstone in rough workmanship. The head is tonsured and rests on a square pillow. The hands are joined in prayer. The feet rest on a block carved with foliage. Vestments: amice, alb, stole, chasuble and maniple. The second effigy is beneath a recess with a segmental arch enriched with roll mouldings, in the south wall of the aisle. Again, it is C14 in date and is an unknown priest. The sandstone is in good condition but the work is crude. The head has been restored and rests on a single cushion. The hands are joined in prayer. The feet rest on two animals joined in one head. Vestments: amice, alb, stole, chasuble and maniple.
C.H. Hunter Blair, 1929, Mediaeval Effigies in the County of Durham [read on 26th September, 1928], Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 4, Vol. VI, pp 1-51