Tyne and Wear HER(13574): Newcastle, The Keep, effigy of a woman - Details
Newcastle, The Keep, effigy of a woman
Located on the floor of the chapel. The effigy is of the wife of George Carr (mayor of Newcastle, died before 1506), name unknown. Date about end of C15. She lay originally beside her husband on a high tomb beneath the east window of the church of St. Nicholas. The tomb was mutilated by the Scots and probably by earlier iconoclasts. It was sold by auction by the churchwardens in 1783. Parts of the tomb were bought by alderman Hornby and kept in his garden in Pilgrim Street, thence this effigy came to the Keep. Sandstone covered by gesso; traces of paint survive. The head is broken off and the gesso and paint have completely gone from it so the head is different in appearance to the rest of the effigy. A folded kerchief is over the forehead. The hair is netted in a square shape round the face. This is covered by a veil hanging in stiff folds at each side. There is a necklace and locket around the neck. The kirtle has tight sleeves. Over this is a narrow sideless cote-hardie edged with fur, falling loosely from the waist. The mantle hangs from the shoulders in formal folds to the feet and is fastened by cords over the breast from a brooch on each shoulder. There is a jewel at the end of the cords. The feet are destroyed.
C.H. Hunter Blair, 1930, Mediaeval Effigies in Northumberland [read on 24th April 1929], Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 4, Vol. VII, pp 1-31