Tyne and Wear HER(13577): Swalwell, medieval staiths - Details
Swalwell, medieval staiths
Water Transport Site
Accounts of 1582 show that the principal partner at Winlaton Colliery was coal magnate James Lawson's daughter Barbara Blunt-Scrivener. While most Winlaton coal went to Blaydon Staiths, she had a river port of her own on the River Derwent at Swalwell Ford. Her staiths were located on the Swalwell side. Total output for 1581 was given as 23,602 fothers, over 100 wainloads a day, making 7,867 Newcastle chaldrons, some 20,800 tons. The Whickham Grand Lease had staiths immediately those of Barbara Blunt, which brought coal from their Axwell and Swalwell pits to the Derwent.
Eric Clavering and Alan Rounding, 1995, Early Tyneside Industrialism: The lower Derwent and Blaydon Burn Valleys 1550-1700, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol XXIII, pages 249-268