Tyne and Wear HER(13578): Swalwell, Peal Flat coal pits - Details
Swalwell, Peal Flat coal pits
Coal Mining Site
In the last two decades of the 16th century the Whickham Grand Lease group had pits on Sir George Selby's Peal Flat overlooking Swalwell. Water in the pits must have had to have been raised to the surface by the gin at Ginn Close on Market Lane. Peal Flat is not documented after 1610.
Eric Clavering and Alan Rounding, 1995, Early Tyneside Industrialism: The lower Derwent and Blaydon Burn Valleys 1550-1700, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol XXIII, pages 249-268