Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Axwell Park, corn mill

Tyne and Wear HER(13587): Axwell Park, corn mill - Details

Back to Search Results



Axwell Park, corn mill





Corn Mill

Post Medieval


Documentary Evidence

Around 1635 William Selby III carried out a major redevelopment at Winlaton. The 1636 total vend was probably around 2000T, making Winlaton the second biggest colliery on Tyneside. The Derwent face of Winlaton Hill (now in Axwell Park) was exploited. The Brockwell seam outcropped near the 50 foot contour, which is where pits were located around 1600. The coal could be worked from the dip in the north-east corner of the present park. Somewhere in this area Selby provided a waterpit. To power its mill Selby diverted one stream into a trench cut along the foot of the slope and collected the run-off. A tailrace was created from a second falling into the Derwent at 'Selby's Ford'. These works later became the ornamental lake. In 1638 the new colliery was flooded, possibly by pent-up water in old workings north of the fault. Selby diverted water from the Derwent to power more water wheels to drain the mine. The water ran into a much bigger millpond, which beame the fishpond of the park lake. In 1629 John Clavering bought Axwell. He sued Selby and Hodgson in 1639 because water which powered his corn mill was dammed at their colliery. In 1645 James Clavering made a settlement which agreed that Winlaton Colliery could make full use of the Derwent until it closed.




Eric Clavering and Alan Rounding, 1995, Early Tyneside Industrialism: The lower Derwent and Blaydon Burn Valleys 1550-1700, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol XXIII, pages 249-268

Back to Search Results