Tyne and Wear HER(13591): Wrekenton, The Camp Ground - Details
Wrekenton, The Camp Ground
An area of rough ground marked 'The Camp Ground' on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile plan of 1862 which extends to either side of the parish boundary (the Wrekendyke Roman road). An old quarry is shown in the south-west corner. The second edition (1890) shows 'site of huts'. The third (1919) and fourth (1939) editions show the ground as hachured suggesting the earthwork remnants of old quarries. The name Camp Ground is popularly believed to derive from the use of the area as an encampment for the South Lincoln and East Yorkshire Militias during the early 1780s.
A Short History of Wrekenton and Springwell TWAS L/PA/235; Ordnance Survey first edition 25" - 1 mile plan, c.1862, Durham VII.9; Entec, July 2009, Heritage Appraisial - Campground