Tyne and Wear HER(13598): Bensham, Whitehall Road Methodist Church - Details
Bensham, Whitehall Road Methodist Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Methodist New Connexion Chapel
Methodist New Connexion Church. Opened on 29th February 1896. In 1907 the Methodist New Connexion, The Methodist Free Church and The Bible Christians joined together to Form the United Methodist Church of which Whitehall Road became a part. Electric lighting was installed in the 1920s. In 1932 Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodists joined and became The Methodist Church. The fine organ from the old Gateshead Bethesda chapel was rebuilt and installed in 1897 and still works today. There is a beautiful Arts & Crafts influenced St. Margaret Stained Glass window made by Thompson & Smee of Gateshead, which depicts St. Margaret of Scotland, and was purchased in memory of Mrs. Margaret Greener, by her husband, a prominent coal exporter and shipbroker. Plaque commemorating the link with William Booth.
www.whitehallrdmethodist.org.uk; Heritage Open Days Booklet 2011