Tyne and Wear HER(13618): Hendon, Commercial Road, gas holder - Details
Hendon, Commercial Road, gas holder
Gas Storage Tank
This dates to 1860 by Thomas Hawksley for the Sunderland Corporation Gas Company. Cast and wrought iron. Cylindrical iron piers have panelled decoration at junction with rails and on pointed finials. Telescopic gas holder with guide towers. This type of structure was invented in 1824 and had reached a great level of sophistication by the 1890s. This structure dates to the 1860s. The gas holder is a complete example with only minor and insignificant alterations to the original structure. Nationally there are four listed gas holders including this example.
Dagmar Richardson, TWM Archaeology, 2011, The Former Hendon Gas Works Site, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special Historic or Architectural Interest 920-1/5/53; Archaeological Research Services Ltd. 2014, Gas Holder, Commercial Road, Hendon, Sunderland, Historic Buildings Recording