Tyne and Wear HER(13619): Sunderland, Low Street, gas works - Details
Sunderland, Low Street, gas works
Coal Gas Structure
In the early 19th century the Sunderland Improvement Commission authorised the supply of gas lighting for some of the town's streets to replace oil. The gas works were established in 1824 by the Sunderland Gas Light Company, on the east side of Low Street at the bottom of Beggar's Bank. In 1831 the Subscription Gas Corporation took over the gas works.
Dagmar Richardson, TWM Archaeology, 2011, The Former Hendon Gas Works Site, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment; A Brett, 1990, Sunderland People and Places; G. Cookson, 2010, Sunderland Building a City