Tyne and Wear HER(13622): Newcastle, Royal Victoria Infirmary, stone drain - Details
Newcastle, Royal Victoria Infirmary, stone drain
Water Supply and Drainage
In June 1970 the secretary of the RVI reported the discovery of a drain during the building of a new Children's Department on the corner of Queen Victoria Road and Richardson Road. The drain was square in section and the sides and cover slabs were well dressed stone. It appeared to run on a line from the lake in Castle Leazes to the School of Agriculture on the north side of St. Thomas Street. Clear water was still running through it. The drain was set in the clay subsoil. The layers of soil above it contained no datable material. It seems likely that this is part of the extensive drainage system recorded by Thomas Oliver on his map of the Town Moor and Castle Leazes in 1852.
Barbara Harbottle, 1971, A stone drain, Ryal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle in Archaeological Newsbulletin for Northumberland, Cumberland and Westmorland, No. 12, Sept 1971, page 16