Tyne and Wear HER(13635): Millfield, King's Terrace, St. Joseph's RC School - Details
Millfield, King's Terrace, St. Joseph's RC School
School shown on Ordnance Survey second edition map of circa 1898. Recorded in 2012 by TWM ahead of demolition. The first elements of the school were constructed on the south side of King's Terrace between 1862-1898, they later made up the nursery section of the school, St. Joseph's Parish Centre and Presbytery. The single-storey school canteen and kitchen were added between 1898 and 1919. These buildings retained very few internal original features. The main, two-storey, school building on the north side of King's Terrace was built between 1919 and 1941. Further modern adddtions had been made to the nursery buildings and main school building. The main school building appears to have been split into two single sex educational areas within one establishment as was the norm at the beginning of the 20th century. The interior of the north side buildings retained the original layout however, most internal fittings and fixtures had been replaced. The buildings comprised of typical Victorian school buildings on the south side of King's Terrace and a typical early 20th century school on the north side.
Tyne and Wear Musuems, 2012, St. Joseph's RC Primary School, Rutland Street, Pallion, Sunderland - historic building recording; Ordnance Survey Second Edition Map 1898