Tyne and Wear HER(1370): Shiremoor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
The common of the manor (shire) of Tynemouth, enclosed in 1790 by Act of Parliament. It had a maximum altitude of 70 metres and amounted to over 1000 acres. To the west it bordered with Killingworth Moor. Rights of common were confined to the tenants of Preston, East and Middle Chirton, Whitley and Monkseaton, Murton, Earsdon and Backworth, and to 6 freehold farms belonging to the lord of the manor of Tynemouth. Early surveys recorded a pinfold and the herd's house on the moor.
<< HER 1370 >> Northumberland Records Office, National Record Officellment Books - 1790 Shiremoor Enclosure Award Vol. 6, pp. 490 et seq. H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Northumberland County History, Shiremoor VIII, 412-16; RAF/CPE/UK/2352 RP 4013 04-OCT-1947