Tyne and Wear HER(13702): Sunderland, Canal Farm - Details
Sunderland, Canal Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1854 but not on the tithe plan of 1845. Named as Canal House and later Canal Farm. The term canal probably refers to the canalised (straightened) section of the Barnes Burn which predates the farm. The farm originally comprised an east-west range and a single building to the south. The farm was only subsequently developed by the addition of a new single farm building 1854-95 and survived until shortly before 1960 leaving only a solitary barn which was demolished before 1970.
Archaeo-Environment Ltd., 2008, Proposed relocated council depot at Ettrick Grove to the west of Barnes Park - Archaeological Assessment