Tyne and Wear HER(13741): Sunderland, Fawcett Street, town hall - Details
Sunderland, Fawcett Street, town hall
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition map of 1896. The now demolished Town Hall was constructed by 1890 based upon a design by Brightwen Binyon (1846-1905 from Ipswich) who won a design competition. Brightwen Binyon was the former pupil of the architect Alfred Waterhouse who judged the competition. The design was based upon French classicism with columned pavilions in the corners and Mansard roofs. There was a clock tower above the entrance with a dome and cupola. Inside there was a grand staircase and council chamber. The Town Hall was demolished in 1971 and the site was redeveloped. The redevelopment included an office block, ground floor shops and a Post Office.
Ordnance Survey Second Edition Map 1898; Tumman, J, Johnson, M and Lane, A (no date) A walk around Historic Sunderland- The Fawcett and Sunniside Estates.