Tyne and Wear HER(13759): Bishopwearmouth, Vaux Brewery - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Vaux Brewery
Brewing and Malting Site
C. Vaux and Sons opened a brewery in Castle Street in 1875. By the 1890s the brewery expanded rapidly towards the river, eventually occupying a site over 2 acres in size. Between 1900 and the 1940s more buildings were acquired for brewery use. In 1939 Vaux Brewery occupied all the alnd between Gill Road, Cross Queen Street, Castle Street and the lower part of Gill Bridge Avenue. The Avenue Theatre, which had been built in 1882 was converted into a bottling plant. Between 1945 and 1965 the brewery acquired land between Castle Street and Dunning Street and east towards Queen Street. In the early 1970s a new bottling plant, keg plant and warehouses were built. In 1988 a new larger brehouse was installed in old brewery buildings. Vaux Brewery closed in 1999.
Ordnance Survey Second Edition Map 1898; Tyne and Wear Museums Archaeology Department, 1999, Vaux Brewery Site, Sunderland - An Archaeological Assessment; Vaux, no date, Vaux Brewery (manuscript held by Sunderland Local Studies Library); Paul Chadwick, CgMs Consulting, 2003, Former Vaux Brewery, St. Mary's Way, Sunderland - Supplementary Archaeological Desk Based Assessment; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaux_Breweries; http://www.searlecanada.org/sunderland/sunderland207.html; Vaux Brewery records 19th and 20th centuries held by Tyne and Wear Archives; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2019, formmer Vaux Brewery post-excavation full analysis report 5026