Tyne and Wear HER(13780): Coxlodge, Fawdon Square - Details
Coxlodge, Fawdon Square
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1858. Three rows of miner's cottages forming a triangle around an open space with a communal oven (HER 13774) at the centre. Fawdon Square appears in the 1841 Census. Each house had one room upstairs and one down. The outshot buildings were pantries. In the centre of the square were ash pits and privies, coal houses and standpipes for water. The houses were demolished just before World War Two. The triangular site is now occupied by Overfield and Carrfield Roads.
Ordnance Survey First Edition Map 1858; Millie Walker, 1994, Bygone Fawdon & Coxlodge, photo. 11