Tyne and Wear HER(13782): Coxlodge, Chapel Street, United Methodist Chapel - Details
Title of image: Chapel Street, Coxlodge
Description: A view of Chapel Street, Coxlodge taken in 1940s/1950s. The photograph shows two buildings on Chapel Street - Fawdon Chapel and an adjoining house. There are buildings in the background.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies
Accession number: NCL 051279
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Coxlodge, Chapel Street, United Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
United Methodist Chapel
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1858. Built in 1817. Rebuilt in 1874. Known as Fawdon Chapel. Seated 150. It was used as a schoolroom during the week. In the 1920s there was a Coxlodge United Methodist Football Team. Demolished in the early 1960s for road widening. A new chapel was built nearby in 1964.
Ordnance Survey First Edition Map 1858; Millie Walker, 1994, Bygone Fawdon & Coxlodge; Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside - a survey January/February 2012