Tyne and Wear HER(1381): South Gosforth village - Details
South Gosforth village
In 1166 South Gosforth was listed as a member of the barony of Whalton. It became split, two-thirds being held by the Lisles (from the late 12th century), and one third by the Heselrigs (from the mid 14th century). There were 4 taxpayers in 1296, 5 in 1312, and for a time in the 14th century some tenements were held by Richard Emeldon. The site of the village seems to have been close to St. Nicholas church, and at the time of first edition Ordnance Survey map consisted of a farm, a school and a few dwellings. At the election of 1826 there had been only 6 voters. It was partly rebuilt in the second half of the 19th century when Coxlodge and Bulman village were developed.
<< HER 1381 >> W.H. Thompson, 1921, Northumberland Pleas, 1198-1272, Newcastle Record Series, II, no. 469 Tithe Awards, 1841, South Gosforth, Northumberland Records Office, DT 430 S Tithe Awards, 1841, Coxlodge, Northumberland Records Office, DT 120 S R. Welford, (date unknown), A History of the Parish of Gosforth 26-52 M.H. Dodds, 1930, South Gosforth and Coxlodge Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, 341-45 S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, II, 390- Northumberland Records Office; C. Peters, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, Scout Hut, Church Road, Gosforth - Archaeological Assessment; A. Telford, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, Scout Hut, Church Road, Gosforth - Archaeological Evaluation