Tyne and Wear HER(1385): Byker, manor house - Details
Byker, manor house
In 1825 Mackenzie published the following: "There is a curious old house on the south side of the village (Byker), now a public house known by the name of the Blue Bell. The walls, like those of all ancient buildings, are very thick...". In 1844 G.B. Richardson sketched it - a rectangular 3 bay 2 storey building with attic (dormer window) and, attached at one end, a single bay 2 storey block, with an external end stair. It is marked, in Gothic letters, as "Manor House" on the first edition Ordnance Survey plan. It was occupied by the Dent family in 1601, and later by the Lawsons.
<< HER 1385 >> E. Mackenzie, 1825, Northumberland,II, 480 G.B. Richardson, 1844, Sketches Northumberland and Durham, Northumberland Records Office, ZAN M13/F13 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1:2,500 scale, Durham 97.8 -Northumberland Records Office M.H. Dodds, 1930, Dent's Hole, Northumberland County History, XIII, 274-5