Tyne and Wear HER(1393): Walker, Stotts House, mound - Details
Walker, Stotts House, mound
Two mounds once existed on either side of a stream running into Stote's Powe in Walker. They were published by Horsley in 1732 as tumuli, and later mapped by MacLauchlan. The east one survived to be recorded on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan. In 1929 Wake described it as 72 feet in diameter, 6.5 feet high, and as his trench showed charcoal and a platform of stones he interpreted it as a barrow. Jobey dug it in 1964 in advance of its levelling, and described it as a grass-grown mound at the junction of Tumulus Place and Tumulus Avenue. He found early plough marks, a roadway thought to be part of the Military Way, a post-Roman ditch, three clay layers (one of which was suggested as the product of local industry) and later ploughing, and the mound itself. There was no evidence for either its date or function.
<< HER 1393 >> J. Horsley, 1732, Britannia Romana, 136 T. Wake, 1931, Burial Mound near Wallsend,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 4, IV (for 1929-30), 125-6 G. Jobey, 1965, Stott's House 'Tumulus' and the Military Way, Walker, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XLIII, 77-86