Tyne and Wear HER(1406): Heaton village - Details
Heaton is first referred to in 1157 as Hactona, a member of the Gaugy moiety of the barony of Ellingham; in 1279 as Hoton. This has been translated as haugh-ton, the village on the haugh of the Ouse Burn. There were 5 taxpayers in 1296, 8 in 1312. In 1421 the manor included a capital messuage, 6 existing and 2 waste husbandlands; in 1454 a capital messuage 7 husbandlands and 7 cottages. There had probably been a dispersion by the 18th century, by which time the c.8 farms were isolated or irregularly clustered. The area is now covered by urban sprawl and parkland.
<< HER 1406 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, Heaton Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 277-288 1741, Rental, Matthew Ridley's Real Estate, Northumberland Records Office ZRI - 40.1 Plan - ref. C188 of Estate, Northumberland Records Office ZRI, 50.9 1745, Population for billeting purposes, Northumberland Records Office ZRI, 27.4.80 Seymour Bell, John Bell, 1800, Plan of East and West Heaton -Newcastle Library Local Studies, 12.1 C188, Surveys, 1763-84-1800, Farms in Heaton, Northumberland Records Office, ZRI, 49.1 W. Hutchinson, 1776, View of Northumberland, II, 365-6 Tithe Awards, 1841, Heaton, Northumberland Records Office, DT 227 M S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, II, 407-08- Northumberland Records Office