Tyne and Wear HER(1420): Heaton manor - Details
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
The manor of Heaton passed to Robert de Clifford by marriage in the 13th century. It was held on a tenancy by Robert of Ryal in 1298, and passed from the Ryals to the Musgraves by marriage in the 14th century, remaining with that family until 1482. It was then divided between the heirs, John Fenwick (and so eventually to the Ridleys), and Robert Mitford (and so eventually to the Whites), the two halves being finally reunited in 1755. Documents of 1421 and 1454 record the site of a capital messuage, an orchard, a garden, 100 acres of demesne land, 30 acres of wood, 6 husbandlands in 1421, and 7 + 7 cottages in 1454. The buildings are presumably also represented by the 'camera' (HER ref. 116) and the village (HER ref. 1406).
<< HER 1420 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, Heaton Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 281-287; Turnbull, L, 2015, A Celebration of our Mining Heritage