Tyne and Wear HER(14527): Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, Bond Memorial Methodist Chapel - Details
Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, Bond Memorial Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel. Now The Potter's House Christian Church. Built in 1899. This replaced an 1881 iron chapel (HER 14528). In 1892 Alderman and Mrs W.H. Stephenson pledged to build a chapel and Sunday School (HER 14530) at a cost of £2500 in memory of the late Miss Charlotte Bond (sister-in-law of Sir W H Stephenson) on a site which had previously been bought by her. The Wesleyan Chapel, seated 650 people. Large Italianate stone chapel with ashlar dressings. An enclosed link was added between the chapel and Sunday School in the mid C20. Originally there were terraced houses attached to the rear of the Sunday School. These were demolished in the 1960s/70s. The church is a two storey building of snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Its mildly eccentric styling incorporates Arts & Crafts and Romanesque influences. The south gable on Adelaide Terrace has two rows of windows. The upper windows are in the form of a Romanesque arcade. A lower two-storey projection to the right includes two entrances. There is a further entrance to the far left. There was originally a large bell cote on the roof, but this has been removed. Only the base remains. The church interior has been stripped out, the furnishings and gallery fronts removed. Put forward for listing in Dec 2015 but not added to the List.
Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside - a survey January/February 2012; Historic England (Designation), 20 January 2016, Reject at Initial Assessment Report; AB Heritage 2016 Bond Memorial Church, Benwell, Building Recording