Tyne and Wear HER(14529): Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, Wesleyan Mission - Details
Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, Wesleyan Mission
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Elswick Road Wesleyan Circuit was formed in 1877 as an offshoot from Blenheim Street Circuit. A dwelling house on Adelaide Terrace, between Cochrane Street and Oak Street was rented for £20 per year to use as a Mission for New Benwell. A prayer meeting was held on 23rd November 1877 and the Mission for Divine Worship was opened on Sunday 25th November. The committee comprised Messrs. Stephenson, Ritson, Thompson, Chambers, Lawson, Walton and Rowland. The rented house soon proved to be too small and a site was soon found on which to build a chapel (HER 14528).
Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside - a survey January/February 2012