Tyne and Wear HER(14530): Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, Wesleyan Sunday School - Details
Benwell, Adelaide Terrace, Wesleyan Sunday School
In 1892 Alderman and Mrs W.H. Stephenson pledged to build a chapel (HER 14527) and Sunday School at a cost of £2500 in memory of the late Miss Charlotte Bond on a site which had previously been bought by her. The Sunday School was built first In 1893 to the west of the iron chapel. The Sunday School was built in Italian style, 90 feet long and 35 feet wide. It comprised a large hall, infants school and two classrooms on the ground floor. The caretaker's accomodation was on the first floor and heating equipment in the basement. The architects were Thompson and Selby of Pilgrim Street. The builders were Thirlwell & Son of Benwell Village. The foundation stone was laid on 1st March 1893. A time capsule bottle containing copies of the Newcastle daily papers, the Methodist Recorder, the Methodist Times and a Circuit Plan, was placed by Miss Stephenson, daughter of the Alderman, in a cavity under the south-east corner. After the ceremony a meeting was held in the iron chapel. The opening ceremony took place on 13th September 1893.
Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside - a survey January/February 2012