Tyne and Wear HER(1458): Newcastle, Westgate Road, Roman amphora - Details
Newcastle, Westgate Road, Roman amphora
In 1898, during excavations for Cooper's horse repository south of the General Post Office on the north side of Westgate Road, an amphora was recovered. It was of cream-coloured or reddish earthenware, with slight horizontal flutings and a pointed bottom. Its dimensions were: height 1 foot 2 inches; diameter at mouth 2.5 inches; circumference at widest part 1 foot 9 inches. It was exhibited to the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle by William Smith of Gunnerton, and in 1931 was donated to the Society.
<< HER 1458 >> W. Smith, 1899, Exhibited, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, VIII (for 1897-98), p. 256 Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 1933, Additions to the Museum, 4, V (for 1931-32), pp. 151-2