Tyne and Wear HER(14646): Lemington, Bell's Close Centenary Chapel - Details
Title of image: Wesleyan Methodist Church, Bell's Close, Scotswood
Additional info: Lantern slide
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Churches Collection
Accession number: NCL 001790
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Lemington, Bell's Close Centenary Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel opened Good Friday 29th March 1839. Constructed of roughly coursed sandstone with lancet windows with a central entrance with gabled hood. A trefoil window was positioned about the front entrance. Originally rectangular in plan, the addition of a schoolroom in 1873 changed the plan to T-shaped. Between the 1930s and 1950s a toilet block and coal bunker was added to the NW corner of the school house. Closed 1975. 2015 used as an embroidery and print works by Elite Embroidery. Recorded in 2015 ahead of demolition. The interior of the chapel had been stripped of original features apart from a painted text of 'The Lord is in His Holy Temple' from the Book of Habakkuk in the Old Testament, the trefoil window and a partially ornamented scissor roof truss. The school house interior had also been stripped with only some curved ceiling decoration remaining. The exterior was described as being in good condition. A second storey had been erected within each building and extra partitions inserted.
Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle and North Tyneside, a survey; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2015, Former Wesleyan Chapel, Bell's Close, Newcastle upon Tyne - Building Recording