Tyne and Wear HER(1469): Newcastle, Castle Garth, Roman dedication slab - Details
Newcastle, Castle Garth, Roman dedication slab
Part of a dedication slab found in 1979, in a secondary position on the north side of the Headquarters Building of the Roman fort, during archaeological excavation in Castle Garth. It measured 1.16 x 0.58 x 0.33 metres. Above the base and simple mouldings there was an 11 line inscription, a vertical half of which survives. The stone was set up to the Dowager Empress Julia Domna (widow of Severus) by the First Cohort of Trajan's Own Cugerni, Roman citizens, under the charge of Gaius Julius Marcus (whose name has been erased), the Emperor's pro-praetorian legate.
<< HER 1469 >> C.M. Daniels & B. Harbottle, 1980, A New Inscription of Julia Domna from Newcastle, Archaeologia Aeliana, 5, VIII, 65-73 Britannia, 1980, Roman Britain in 1979, XI,