Tyne and Wear HER(14790): Jesmond, Jesmond Towers, classrooms - Details
Jesmond, Jesmond Towers, classrooms
Designed by Dunn Hansom & Fenwicke 1924 for the Filles de la Sagesse. Single storey. Part timbered, pebble dashed. Features folding sliding panelled and glazed partitions between the classrooms and a parquet floor. High ceilings. The classrooms are spacious and light. The slate roof has a bell cote/cupola. A report (August 2010) on the bell has been produced by Howard EJ Smith, bell advisor for the Newcastle Diocese. The bell was cast by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon in 1922. It is 16 inches in diameter and weighs between 70 and 90 pounds. It has no inscription on it but it has the date 1922 and decoration.
Cyril Winskell and AJT Environmental Consultants, 2010, Conservation Plan for Jesmond Towers Estate, pp 73-74; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2014, La Sagesse, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, Buildings Recording