Tyne and Wear HER(14792): Jesmond, Jesmond Towers, farmhouse - Details
Jesmond, Jesmond Towers, farmhouse
18th century farmhouse. Two storeys. Sandstone rubble walls with ashlar quoins. Pebble dashed on the north elevation. Sash windows (not original). The south elevation retains a hornless vertical sliding sash window. Inside there is a glazed screen, boarded over and wallpapered. The entrance was originally from the south, but now its from the north. Inside, the window reveals to the rear of the property are very deep, indicative of thick walls typical of the 1700s. Additionally original internal doors survive which are fairly small and again typical of the period. The staircase appears to be original. A fireplace survives in the parlour/sitting room. In 1821 Robert Warwick converted the farmstead into a mansion and added a lodge (West Cottage) to the west, but the majority of the buildings continued to function as a working farm. A group of three farm buildings and a U-shaped outbuilding to the north-east is shown on Thomas Oliver's plan of 1844. The site was acquired in 1917 by the Filles de la Sagesse and the buildings were altered. The farmhouse became the Father's house.
Cyril Winskell and AJT Environmental Consultants, 2010, Conservation Plan for Jesmond Towers Estate, p 75; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2014, La Sagesse, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, Buildings Recording