Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Newcastle, Newgate Street, Church of St. Andrew

Tyne and Wear HER(1486): Newcastle, Newgate Street, Church of St. Andrew - Details

Back to Search Results

St. Andrew's Chuch, Newcastle upon Tyne


1486


Newcastle


Newcastle, Newgate Street, Church of St. Andrew


Newcastle


NZ26SW


Religious Ritual and Funerary


Church


Parish Church


Medieval


C12


Extant Building


In the medieval period St Andrew’s was a parochial chapel dependent on St. Nicholas. The earliest masonry suggests a chancel (with decorated Norman chancel arch), a four bay aisled nave (semicircular arches on round columns) and west tower, of mid to late 12th century date. Alterations and additions up to c. 1300 included new north and south transepts, the widening of the north aisle, the lengthening of the chancel, the upper part of the tower and the south porch of the chancel. The 14th century saw the addition of a south porch to the nave and the Trinity Chapel on the east side of the north transept. Thereafter there were no more enlargements, just many alterations, medieval and later. Many of the graveslabs making up the path cover crypts. LISTED GRADE 1


2454


6441


NZ24546441



<< HER 1486 >> H. Bourne, 1736, History of Newcastle, 40-47 J. Brand, 1787, History of Newcastle, I, 178-96 TW.H. Knowles & J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestiges of Old Newcastle and Gateshead, 250-60 Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 1895, St. Andrew's Church, Newcastle, 2, VI (for 1893-94), 94, 169-72 J. Robinson, 1896, Monuments in the Athol Chantry, St. Andrew's Church, Newcastle... Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVIII, 37-48 O.J. Charlton, 1896, Note on the Athol Matrix in St. Andrew's Church, Newcastle, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVIII, 49 A.M. Oliver, 1922, Deeds of St. Andrew's Church, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 3, XIX, 200-09 A.H. Thompson, 1923, St. Andrew's Church,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 3, X (for 1921-22), 153-57 H.L. Honeyman, 1941, The Church of St. Andrew, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XIX, 117-70 N. Pevsner, rev. various, 1992, Northumberland, Buildings of England, 426-7; Thomas Oliver, 1844, Historical and Descriptive Reference to the Public Buildings on the Plan of the Borough of Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead; Gordon Rutter, 2009, Paranormal Newcastle; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 14 and 170; Barbara Harbottle, 2009, The Medieval Archaeology of Newcastle in Diana Newton and AJ Pollard (eds), 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead before 1700, page 26; The Prish Church of St. Andrew, Newgate Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, leaflet

Back to Search Results