Tyne and Wear HER(14895): Harraton, Outside Hall (Harraton Hall) - Details
Harraton, Outside Hall (Harraton Hall)
Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1856. By the second edition of 1896 it is named Harraton Hall. Still present in 1967. Destroyed for the construction of the A195. Harraton Outside is mentioned in a lease dated 1730 which lists 'the Garth, tithes of corn, hay and others on the grounds in Harraton and Harraton Outside in the parish of Chester-le-Street, in the occupation of George Reay, William Wheldon and Thomas Dennison'. The Hall was in existence by the 1770s. The land owner was the Earl of Durham.
Pre-Construct Archaeology Ltd, 2008, An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment: The Former Goodyear Dunlop Tyre Factory, Wear Industrial Estate, Washington, Tyne and Wear; Ordnance Survey first edition map 1856