Tyne and Wear HER(1499): Newcastle, Carr's Battery - Details
Newcastle, Carr's Battery
An artillery emplacement, 24 x 10 yards, just inside the south-east stretch of the town wall, midway between Walknoll Tower and Sand Gate. Probably built 1639-40, and perhaps paid for by Alderman Leonard Carr, so giving rise to its name. Saw action in the siege of 1644, and was finally destroyed on 19th October of that year. It was not replaced, and though the name survived until the early 19th century the land was eventually built over, and in 1880-2 covered by the construction of City Road. Excavation in 1994 revealed a possible part of its ditch, filled with mid 17th century pottery and clay pipes.
<< HER 1499 >> C. North, 1983, Carr's Battery, Archaeologia Aeliana, 5, XI, 147-8 Excavation report, J. Nolan, 1994, Sallyport