Tyne and Wear HER(1500): Newcastle, Sandgate Fort - Details
Newcastle, Sandgate Fort
In the summer of 1648 the common council initiated the building of a fort in Sandgate, sited in the angle made by the east face of the town wall outside Sand Gate and the Tyne. In 1656 there was a dispute as to ownership of the site, and a request was made to be allowed to dump "rubbish into the trench". After the restoration the fort fell into decay; and its site became a waste called Sandgate Midding. It is supposed, in the second half of the 17th century, to have been the site of Cuthbert Dykes' Folly.
<< HER 1500 >> Calendar of Common Council Book, Newcastle, 1645-50 589.4, ff. 266-269 -Tyne and Wear Archive Service M.H. Dodds, ed. 1920, Extracts from the Newcastle upon Tyne, Council Minute Book, 1639-1656, p. 174 Calendar of Common Council Book, Newcastle, 1650 -Tyne and Wear Archive Service J. Brand, 1789, History of Newcastle, II, 474n E. Mackenzie, 1827, Newcastle, 183n