Tyne and Wear HER(1502): Newcastle, Hospital of St Mary the Virgin in Westgate - Details
Title of image: Hospital of St Mary the Virgin
Description: This 1786 engraving shows the Hospital of Saint Mary the Virgin in Newcastle upon Tyne, part of which had been converted into a grammar school. The garden in the foreground has a fence in front of the building on the left-hand side. A wall covered by the trees grown against it forms the boundary of the garden on the right-hand side. Beyond the garden wall the rooftops and chimney stacks of other buildings can be seen. The building with a row of young trees in front in the centre background of the picture forms a third boundary to the garden. A man is watering a tree in a pot using a watering can in the middle bottom of the foreground.The inscription underneath the picture reads: To the Reverend Hugh Moises A.M., Morning Lecturer of the CHURCH of ALL SAINTS, Master of St. MARY'S HOSPITAL and of the ROYAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL at Newcastle upon Tyne. This VIEW of part of the Ancient Church of that Hospital converted into a GRAMMAR SCHOOL. Engraved at his Expence is most respectfully Inscribed By his very obliged and most devoted faithful humble Servant John Brand.
Additional info: Engraving handcoloured
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Pictures Collection
Accession number: NCL b102
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Hospital of St Mary the Virgin in Westgate
Health and Welfare
Founded during the reign of Henry II by Aselack of Killinghowe for 2 regular brothers and 1 chaplain to serve God, the poor and travellers. The size and description of the community changed later. The precinct was from Westgate on the north to beyond the town wall on the south. Buildings included a chapel of c. 1200, and a chancel, rebuilt c. 1340 (beneath the Stephenson monument), on the north side of a garden, a west range, and originally an east range. The aisles of the nave were demolished, and the arcades walled up, a mullioned window being inserted in each bay, probably in the 16th century. The hospital survived the Dissolution, and was refounded in 1611. It was also used in the medieval period for meetings of the guild, for the election of the mayor and officers, and to house the grammar school. The remaining portions were demolished in 1844 to make way for Neville Street etc.
<< HER 1502 >> H. Bourne, 1736, History of Newcastle, 30-35 J. Brand, 1789, History of Newcastle, I, 67-85 E. Mackenzie, 1827, Newcastle, 137-145 T.M. Richardson, 1880, Memorials of Old Newcastle upon Tyne, XIX W.H. Knowles, 1892, The Hospital of St. Mary the Virgin, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XV, 194-207 J. Raine, 1876, S. Mary the Virgin's Hospital, Newcastle, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, VII, 203 G.R.B. Spain, 1934, The Roman Wall in Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 4, XI, 232 and fig. 1; Thomas Oliver, 1844, Historical and Descriptive Reference to the Public Buildings on the Plan of the Borough of Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead; Welford, History of Newcastle and Gateshead, Vol 2, p 236