Tyne and Wear HER(15055): Newcastle, South Street - Details
Newcastle, South Street
Road Transport Site
Laid out after Forth Street (1811) but before Thomas Oliver's map of 1830. Orchard Street and South Street were the first of a series of north-south streets to be laid out on the south side of Forth Street. Mackenzie noted that both were 'filled with manufactories, and the houses of their proprietors, overseers, or workmen'. Trade directories from 1847 list Robert Stephenson & Co (HER 4347, 8960, 9253 and 9256), John and Isaac Burrell ironfounders, William Henry Pearson iron plate worker and George Heron & Co. engineers. There were also a small number of grocers and 'dealers in sundries'.
PLB Consulting Ltd with Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, The Stephenson Quarter, Newcastle upon Tyne - Conservation Plan and Archaeological Assessment, page 6; White, 1847, Directory of Newcastle upon Tyne; E Mackenzie, 1827, History of Newcastle