Tyne and Wear HER(15056): Newcastle, Sussex Street - Details
Newcastle, Sussex Street
Road Transport Site
Laid out after Forth Street (1811) but before Thomas Oliver's map of 1830. In existence by 1827. The name suggests an expression of loyalty to the ruling dynasty. The Duke of Sussex visited Newcastle in August 1822.
PLB Consulting Ltd with Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, The Stephenson Quarter, Newcastle upon Tyne - Conservation Plan and Archaeological Assessment, page 6; J Sykes, 1866, Local Records, Vol 2