Tyne and Wear HER(15061): Newcastle, Forth Street, The Hope and Anchor Public House - Details
Newcastle, Forth Street, The Hope and Anchor Public House
Shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1859. Forth Street was laid out in 1811. The pub will have been demolished when the line of Forth Street was moved south to accommodate a widening of the railway before 1896.
PLB Consulting Ltd with Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, The Stephenson Quarter, Newcastle upon Tyne - Conservation Plan and Archaeological Assessment, page 6; Ordnance Survey First Edition 1859; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, p 28