Tyne and Wear HER(15063): Newcastle, South Street, Old Gas Works - Details
Newcastle, South Street, Old Gas Works
Coal Gas Structure
Shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1859. 'Old' suggests that they were out of use. Established by 1818 but was superceded before 1827 by a new works at Manor Place [Mackenzie 1827, 1, 725]. A new bigger gas works is shown west of this site on the OS first edition map of 1859 (HER 4131). Other gasometers were erected close to the Hawthorn Works between 1830 and 1859.
PLB Consulting Ltd with Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, The Stephenson Quarter, Newcastle upon Tyne - Conservation Plan and Archaeological Assessment, page 6; Ordnance Survey First Edition 1859; E Mackenzie, 1827, History of Newcastle