Tyne and Wear HER(15066): Newcastle, town moor, aerodrome - Details
Newcastle, town moor, aerodrome
Military Airfield Site
There had been an aerodrome on Duke's Moor (NZ 240 668) from summer 1913 when Armstrong-Whitworth's aircraft factory was established on Grandstand Road. But in June 1916 this was abandoned for a larger aerodrome on the town moor a little to the south and away from the houses which bordered Duke's Moor. The new aerodrome cost £600. Armstrong-Whitworth used the aerodrome for test flights, as did Angus Sanderson of St. Thomas Street. In August 1917 an Aircraft Acceptance Park was established here to handle A-W FK.8s and Bristol F.2Bs. Sopwith Cuckoos from Pegler and Blackburn operated from here alongside the local manufacturers. The Aircraft Acceptance Park occupied 80 acres of the town moor. The landing area measured 750 x 750 yards. A GS shed 170 x 80 feet was built. Three Bessonneau canvas hangars were erected. 9 (Newcastle) Airfcraft Acceptance Park was disbanded in 1919.