Tyne and Wear HER(15092): Fenham, St. Cuthbert's Green, Nos. 1 to 22 - Details
Fenham, St. Cuthbert's Green, Nos. 1 to 22
Gordon Ryder and Peter Yates wanted to develop their ideas used at Thorntree Gill in Peterlee. They were appointed in 1962 by Newcastle City Council to design a high profile social housing scheme at North Kenton. They tested the specially developed courtyard house at a small pilot scheme of 22 dwellings at St. Cuthbert's Green. Local residents had opposed the building of a 15 storey tower block here in 1960-61. The design separated pedestrian and vehicular spaces. The houses were arranged around a triangular 'village green'. There were four terraces around a central court. The western block included one-storey kitchen-diners and two-storey living rooms and bedrooms. The northern block contained three-storey terraced houses with integral garages and roof terraces. The southern block was formed of 4 two-storey houses with single-storey kitchens and rear patio. The east terrace was three-bedroomed single-storey courtyard houses, Z-shaped in plan, enclosing a small entrance court and patio. It was an enclosed private development with pedestrian access restricted to residents. A variety of materials, colours and finishes were used. The development resembled Ryder and Yates houses at Peterlee - flat roofs, square shapes, render cladding. It was also similar to Le Corbusier's housing of 1925 at Pessac near Bordeaux, with projecting units and serrated profiles. The development won a Civic Trust Commendation and a Good Design in Housing Medal in 1966. The houses have been heavily remodelled. The flat roofs have been replaced with pitched ones, and the windows have been replaced.
Rutter Carroll, 2009, Ryder and Yates - Twentieth Century Architects, pp 41-42; The Journal, 7 September 1967, 'Good housing designs take top awards'