Tyne and Wear HER(1511): Newcastle town wall, Close Gate - Details
Title of image: Close Gate, Newcastle upon Tyne
Artist: Holmes S.
Additional info: pen and ink drawing
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Walls Collection
Accession number: NCL 038469
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle town wall, Close Gate
Close Gate, across the Close, was built in the mid 14th century. The only view of it (and that unreliable) shows a 3 storey tower pierced by a single central passage, without either a pedestrian gate or flanking guardrooms. However, a lease of 1770 records 3 lofts or rooms in the tower upon Close Gate. A 16th century reference to the purchase of a rope for its drawbridge suggests there was a ditch west of, or a drawbridge pit beneath, the gate itself. Damaged in 1644, it was repaired in 1648; and it was one of the gates ordered to be built up in 1745. When the prisoners had to be removed from the Magazine tower after the Tyne Bridge was washed away in 1771 the Close Gate was used as a temporary prison. It was finally demolished in 1797. SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT
<< HER 1511 >> Tyne and Wear Archive Service- 1564, Chamberlains' Accounts f. 111 Tyne and Wear Archive Service, 544 - 1770 National Record Officlment Book, 544.13, ii, pp. 260-5 H. Bourne, 1736, History of Newcastle, 11 J. Brand, 1789, History of Newcastle, I, 7 & n. E. Mackenzie, 1827, Newcastle, 107 M.A. Richardson, 1842, Local Historian's Table Book, Historical Division, II, 398 R. Welford, 1885, History of Newcastle and Gateshead, II, 462 S. Holmes, 1896, The Town Walls of Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XVIII, 11; CP Graves and DH Heslop, 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne - The Eye of the North, An Archaeological Assessment, p 117; J. Brand, 1890, Town and Country of the town of Newcastle upon Tyne, Vol 2, pp 311-61 and 369-73