Tyne and Wear HER(15281): Percy Main, Middle Row, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1 - Details
Percy Main, Middle Row, Primitive Methodist Chapel 1
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Primitive Methodist Society began in 1821. In 1822, when William Clowes preached in the village, there were 18 members. The chapel was built in 1829. The Primitive Methodist congregation left around 1884 when a new chapel was built on Backworth Street (HER 15280). The original chapel on Middle Row is shown as a 'Christians' Meeting House' on OS maps up to 1956.
Peter F Ryder, 2012, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Newcastle & North Tyneside