Tyne and Wear HER(15297): Newcastle, Brunswick Place, Church Hall and Lecture Room - Details
Newcastle, Brunswick Place, Church Hall and Lecture Room
Built in 1884, the gift of Mrs Susanna Gibson in memory of her sister and niece. A plaque read: "TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF HER SISTER JANE, THE WIFE OF THOMAS CUMMINGS GIBSON, FORMERLY OF THIS CITY, BORN 8.7.1797, DIED 18.12.1835, AND OF THEIR DAUGHTER SUSANNA, BORN 3.7.1827, DIED 6.6.1880, WHO IN THEIR GENERATION SERVED THE COUNSEL OF GOD AND NOW REST FROM THEIR LABOURS. THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED FOR THE SERVICE OF THE WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, BRUNSWICK PLACE, BY SUSANNA GIBSON AD 1884. THEY THAT TURN MANY TO RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL SHINE AS THE STARS FOR EVER & EVER". Mrs Gibson instructed the trustees that the building should be used only for society, congregational or school purposes. The German Evangelical Church used the lecture hall from 1900 to 1908. In the mid 1950s additional rooms and residential accomodation for the chapel caretaker and Deaconess were added.
Geoffrey Fisher and Rev. Terry Hurst, North East Methodist History Society, 2009, Brunswick Place 1821-1992, Newcastle upon Tyne; S Middlebrook, 1968, Newcastle upon Tyne: Its Growth and Achievement